Appealed from the Minden City Court, Ward One Parish of
Webster, Louisiana Trial Court No. J4048-16.6 Honorable C.
Sherburne Sentell, III, Judge
LOUISIANA APPELLATE PROJECT By: Katherine M. Franks Counsel
for Appellant, J.C., Child.
SCHUYLER MARVIN District Attorney, JOHN M. LAWRENCE ANDREW C.
JACOBS MARCUS R. PATILLO Assistant District Attorneys Counsel
for Appellee, State of Louisiana.
MOORE, PITMAN, and COX, JJ.
appeals the trial court's determination that he had the
mental capacity to proceed. For the following reasons, we
affirm the trial court's determination and J.C.'s
adjudication and disposition. We remand for the trial court
to provide J.C. with written notice of the requirements for
registration as a sex offender.
8, 2018, the state filed an amended petition charging J.C., a
juvenile whose date of birth is July 8, 2004, with first
counsel requested a competency determination, and the trial
court appointed Dr. Perry Hill, a licensed psychologist, and
Dr. Pamela McPherson, a medical doctor practicing psychiatry,
to evaluate J.C. Drs. Hill and McPherson both submitted
report, Dr. Hill stated that he evaluated J.C. in July 2018
and previously evaluated him in November 2017. He stated that
J.C. demonstrated marginal intellectual functioning, with
related immaturity in reasoning and decision making.
Regarding his awareness of the nature of legal proceedings,
Dr. Hill stated that J.C.:
1. Has an incomplete and immature understanding of the nature
of the charge against him, as well as the seriousness of the
2. Is able to distinguish between a guilty and not guilty
3. Shows a partial understanding of consequences of either
4. Does not demonstrate an understanding of defenses
available to him;
5. Has partial understanding of the roles of Judge,
Defendant, Prosecutor, and Defense Counsel;
6. Appears to understand possible verdict a Judge may reach
if he were to go to trial; and,
7. Has an incomplete and immature understanding of
consequences of a conviction.
J.C.'s ability to assist counsel in his defense, Dr. Hill
1. [J.C.] is able to recall and relate facts pertaining to
his actions and whereabouts in regards to ...